Adopt/license a pet

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Do I have to license my dog?

Your dog must be licensed to reside in the City of Vacaville. In accordance with Section 6.08 of the Vacaville Municipal Code, all dogs over the age of four months must have their rabies vaccinations and be licensed. Dog licensing is administered by Solano County Animal Care Services.

How do I license my dog?

Dog license applications can be obtained from the following Vacaville locations:
           •  Vacaville City Hall - Finance counter, 650 Merchant Street
           •  Vacaville Police Department - Lobby, 660 Merchant Street
           •  Solano SPCA, 2200 Peabody Road

Enclose a copy of your dog's rabies vaccination certificate, the renewal form, your payment (check or money order) and mail to: Solano County Dog Licensing 4160 Suisun Valley Rd, Ste E428 Suisun City, CA 94585 You may pay for your dog's license in person at the address below. Make sure you call first, verifying their hours (707) 784-1356. Solano County Animal Care Services 2510 Clay Bank Road Fairfield, CA 94533 You may also renew your dog’s license online at  

I need to surrender my dog or cat, where can I take him? 

The Solano SPCA accepts owner-surrendered animals at 2200 Peabody Road in Vacaville (immediately adjacent to the Vacaville Correctional Facility) (Map-It.) The SPCA's hours are Thur-Fri 2PM - 6PM and Sat-Sun 1PM - 5PM.

I found a lost dog or cat, where can I take him?

If you find a stray dog or cat, you can contact the Solano County Animal Shelter located at 2510 Clay Bank Road, Fairfield (Map-It) or you can call Humane Animal Services at (707) 449-1700 (open 7 days a week). For animals in unincorporated parts of Solano County, (707) 784-1356; and on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays call Sheriff's Dispatch at (707) 421-7090.

There is an animal (domestic or wild) in my neighborhood that is creating a disturbance, being neglected, and/or running loose. What can I do?

Humane Animal Services (HAS) provides animal control services for the City of Vacaville and may be able to assist you based on the exact nature of your concern. You can contact them at (707) 449-1700. The Vacaville Police Department also may be able to assist you if the situation warrants immediate attention. You can contact them through the business line at (707) 449-5200.

Where can I adopt a pet in Vacaville?

Contact the Solano SPCA for pet adoption information. Current adoptable animals can be viewed at or visit the SPCA's animals at 2200 Peabody Road in Vacaville (immediately adjacent to the Vacaville Correctional Facility). Petharbor also has information about animals available for adoption at the Solano County Shelter.

Don’t forget… Spaying or Neutering is important too!

Spaying or neutering is good for your pet. Altering your animal reduces the incidence of a number of health problems that can be difficult or expensive to treat and lets him live a longer, healthier life. In addition, spaying or neutering your pet makes him a better, more affectionate companion. Unsterilized animals often exhibit more behavior and temperament problems (such as running away, displaying nervous behavior, or incessant crying) than those pets who have been spayed or neutered. More information is available from the ASPCA and the Humane Society of the United States.

What Spay/Neuter resources are available?

Your veterinarian is your best option and can fully explain spay and neuter procedures to you and discuss with you the best age to sterilize your pet. Both the Solano SPCA and the Solano County Animal Care Services may provide low-cost spay/neuter resources for either dogs or cats. cat and dog