Why is my unit inspected?
The Vacaville Housing Authority (VHA) and Solano County Housing Authority (SCH) will schedule an on-site inspection to make sure the unit meets Housing Quality Standards (HQS). HQS help to ensure that your home will be safe, decent and sanitary.
When will my unit be inspected?
VHA/SCHA inspects and approves units before the lease is signed. Properties are also inspected once a year to make sure the property meets basic health and safety standards. Landlords are invited and encouraged to attend.
What happens if my inspection fails?
- If the inspection fails prior to moving into a new unit it is required that all repairs must be made and the house or apartment must be re-inspected before any lease is signed. If the owner cannot, or will not, repairs are not completed, you must look for another home.
- If during an annual inspection the unit fails the VHA/SCHA will follow-up within 30 days of the date the unit failed (24 hours for life threatening violations) to verify that all repairs have been made.
- If landlord repairs are not made within a reasonable time, payment to the landlord will stop.
- If tenant repairs are not made within a reasonable time, Section 8 assistance will be terminated.
- A re-inspection may be done to verify that all repairs have been made.
What kinds of things are you looking for?
The VHA/SCHA inspects for the following key aspects of housing quality:
- Sanitary facilities, food preparation and garbage disposal
- Space and security
- Lighting and electricity
- Structure and materials
- Interior air quality
- Water supply
- Lead-based paint
- Site and neighborhood
- Sanitary conditions
- Smoke detectors
- Plumbing to ensure no leaks
- Tripping hazards
What do I do if my landlord won't make repairs?
If prior to moving in the repairs are not completed, you must look for another home.
If during an annual inspection repairs are necessary and the repairs have not been made in the time allowed: If the landlord is responsible a letter will be sent notifying the landlord that housing assistance payments to the owner will be stopped. If the family is responsible Section 8 assistance will be terminated.
For Additional Information, please refer to the following documents: