Business Licenses

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Located at City Hall - 650 Merchant Street, Vacaville, CA 95688

Hours 8:30am - 5:00pm

(707) 449-5185, option 2



In an ongoing effort to reduce our carbon footprint and at the same time make things a little easier for our entrepreneurs, the City of Vacaville has a new way for business owners to renew their business licenses online.Participants will be able to create an account; sign up for a business license; renew their license; pay their fees online; close out their business license; and search for businesses.

Access the new Online Business License website!


To inquire about the status of your business license application send an email to

Reminder: All business licenses expire on April 30. Courtesy renewal notices are mailed March 1 and are due no later than April 30.

What Is A Business License?
Business licenses are permits that allow businesses to operate within the city limits of the City of Vacaville. They serve as a registration of businesses and are revenue generating, not regulatory.

Who Needs a City of Vacaville Business License?
Any person, but not limited to, an individual, partnership, corporation or sole proprietor who wishes to conduct either directly or indirectly, any business within the City of Vacaville, must secure a business license certificate. The City ordinance states that it is unlawful for any person to commence, transact, engage in, or carry on any business in the city without first having obtained a valid license and paid the license fee.

Before You Apply For Your Business License
In addition to obtaining the business license certificate, you must also comply with all the city, (see Check Off List) county, state, and federal regulations for zoning, building, health and safety, as well as any others which may directly apply to your type of business.

All businesses are encouraged to visit the CalGold website which can assist in the process for determining what types of Federal, State, and County licenses or permits may be required in addition to your Business License.

View this informational pamphlet provided as a public service to assist those persons interested in establishing and conducting a business in the City of Vacaville.

What Are The Business Classifications?
The City of Vacaville has four business classifications:

  • Service: bookkeeper, childcare, janitorial services
  • Retail/Wholesale/Manufacturing: restaurants, video stores, sales
  • Contractors: construction, electrical, plumbing
  • Professional: consultants, realtors, medical

Business License Fees
The fees are based on the type of business and number of employees. If a business has non-profit status with the State of California, fees may be waived. Proof must be provided with the application. Please see the fee schedule for details on the fees. All fees should be payable to the City of Vacaville. Please be aware that we accept cash, check, VISA and MasterCard.

Where Do I Go To Get My Business License?
Business licenses are processed at the Finance Division front counter located at City Hall, 650 Merchant Street.

What Do I Need To Do To Get My Business License?
You will need to complete a City of Vacaville Business License Application. Your business must be licensed to a physical location. We cannot issue a business license to a post office box.

Home Occupation Permits
The use of residential property for business purposes requires a Home Occupation Permit. If your business is home-based in Vacaville please complete the Home Occupation Permit Application . For more details, please contact the Planning Department.

Business License Renewal
Once you have obtained a business license certificate, a courtesy renewal notice will be mailed to you approximately three weeks before the expiration date. Licenses which expire on April 30 must renew by April 30 to avoid a penalty. If you do not receive a renewal notice, please contact the business license coordinator at (707) 449-5185, option 2, or by email .  Failure to receive a renewal notice does not relieve the business owner's responsibility to renew the business license.

Who Else Needs A Business License?
If you are a contractor, you will need to provide a copy of your pocket license issued by the State. If you are a handyman and do not have a contractors license, you are limited to $500 per job including material and labor. If you will be selling firearms, we will need a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF). Taxi companies must register with the Vacaville Police Department prior to submitting an application. 


Bingo License:

The City of Vacaville requires all Bingo Organizations to apply for a Bingo License. Here is the link to the application needed to apply. (PDF form)

You may also apply online at

Monthly Bingo Reporting:

The City of Vacaville requires all Bingo Organizations to submit a monthly Bingo Reporting form within 30 days after the end of each month. Here is the link to the forms needed for reporting (both small and large organizations).  (Small Organizations Form, Large Organizations Form)

You may also submit your reports online at.