Business Licenses FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
What Is A Business License?

Business licenses are permits that allow businesses to operate within the city limits of the City of Vacaville. They serve as a registration of businesses and are revenue generating, not regulatory.

What Is Considered To Be A Business?

A business includes professional, trade, occupational, and any other line of work.

Who Needs A City Of Vacaville Business License?
  • Anyone who is doing business within the City limits of Vacaville - even if only for one day.
  • Anyone living in Vacaville who is doing business from their home.
  • Anyone who has a business office or satellite office within Vacaville.
What Are The Business Classifications?

The City of Vacaville has four business classifications:
  • Service - bookkeeper, childcare, etc.
  • Retail/Wholesale/Manufacturing - restaurants, video stores, sales, etc.
  • Contractors - construction, electrical, plumbing, etc.
  • Professional - consultants, realtors, medical, etc.
The fees are based on the type of business and number of employees.
  • Reduced fees are available ONLY for businesses operating from a Vacaville residence and having an annual gross income between $1,000 and $2,500.
  • Exemptions from the fees are available ONLY for business operating from a Vacaville residence and having an annual gross income of less than $1,000.
  • If a business has non-profit status with the State of California, fees may be waived. Proof must be provided with the application.
  • For the majority of businesses, the business license fees are based on the number of employees working in Vacaville. If the owner is the only person working in the business, the fee is based on one person.
For further information on the fee schedule, call (707) 449-5185, option 2.

Where Do I Go To Get My Business License?

Business licenses are processed at the Finance Division counter located at City Hall, 650 Merchant Street.
Home Occupation Permits are processed at the Community Development Department located at City Hall, 650 Merchant Street.

What Do I Need To Do To Get My Business License?
  • You will need to complete a City of Vacaville Business License Application [PDF]
  • Your business must be licensed to a physical location. We cannot issue a business license to a post office box. A post office box may be used ONLY for a mailing address.
  • If your business does not have a commercial location, we can license your business to your home with an approved Home Occupation Permit.
  • If you are a contractor, you will need to provide a copy of your pocket license issued by the State. If you are a handyman and do not have a contractors license, you are limited to $500 per job including material and labor.
  • If you will be selling firearms, we will need a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF).
Who Else Needs A Business License?
  • Vending companies
  • Apartments
  • Mobile Home Parks
  • Motels
  • Taxi Companies - must register with the Vacaville Police Department prior to submitting an application.

For More Info, Please Call The Finance Division At 449-5185, option 2.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer