Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

When do need to obtain a Building Permit from the Building Division?

Nonresidential; All commercial improvements or repairs of any kind on private property, including work at a triplex or apartment site,  in Vacaville require a building permit but may be exempted by the Building Official on a case by case basis. 

Residential;  If you are a home owner or a property owner of a single family dwelling unit or duplex  the following list of items do not require a building permit for your residence or property, but the work is required to meet the California Building Standards and zoning codes:

◾solid wood fence (masonry walls are not exempt)  up to 7 feet high but always check with Planning for location and height requirements, 707-449-5140.

◾minor, like for like, electrical and plumbing repairs that do not extend existing wiring or piping. This includes emergency electrical, sewer or water line repairs.

◾Landscape improvements including the installation of irrigation system pipes and valves.

◾painting, wall papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops, dry wall repair  32 square feet or less and similar finish work in a individual dwelling unit.

◾Swings and other playground equipment.

◾Decks not attached to the dwelling exceeding 200 square feet not exceeding 30 inches above the adjacent ground surface. 

◾Prefabricated Swimming pools less than 24 inches deep.

◾one-story detached building used for storage or a children’s playhouse with a floor area up to 120 square feet and without electricity, plumbing, or heating.

◾retaining wall up to 4 feet high measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall and not supporting a surcharge (sloping ground, foundation, fence, etc.) or hazardous liquids.

◾free standing prefabricated component, site assembled, or site built pavilions, pergolas and gazebos that do not have exterior walls ( i.e. opening and walls constructed and weatherized to keep out wind and moisture from the interior of the structure) regardless of their floor area size, do not require a permit.

◾Patio slabs and similar concrete work that does not cover a weep screed, block lot drainage, or exceed zoning lot coverage. Check with Planning, 707-449-5140,  regarding lot coverage requirements.

◾Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches away from the support wall and do not require addition support.

◾Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity of the tanks do not exceed 5000 gallons including rain water storage systems.

Always check with Planning 707-449-5140 for lot coverage, setback, location and height requirements for all decks, sheds, and fences prior to performing any improvement.  


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • What is Alert Solano?

  • What is an Alert Solano account?

  • How does Alert Solano work?

  • What is the intended use of the system?

  • Who sends out the alerts?

  • Why am I being asked to use the Self Registration Portal (SRP)?

  • Where do the telephone numbers in the dataset come from?

  • Can I register more than one address?

  • What if my address is not reflected accurately on the map? Can I fix this?

  • How do I know the information I provide through the Self-Registration Portal (SRP) is on a secure website and will remain confidential?

  • Which cities are participating?

  • What if my information changes?

  • Will residents get charged for alerts to their cellular phones?

  • I have more questions. Who can I contact?

  • Yard & Garden

  • Trash

  • Swimming Pools & Spas

  • Pet Waste

  • Car Washing

  • Automotive

  • "Flushable" Wipes

  • Fats, Oils, & Grease

  • What are the rules about Environmental Protection?

  • Why doesn’t the Building Division open a Code Enforcement Case based anonymous complaints?

  • Is it a municipal code violation if I refuse to pay for a shared lot line fence if I or my neighbor use the fence as a pool barrier?

  • What is the difference between a building inspection and code compliance?

  • When do I need to obtain a Building Permit from the Building Division?

  • Where do I find the Vacaville Building Code?

  • Who can get a building permit?

  • Can I keep chickens in my back yard?

  • How do I stop water and sewer service in my name?

  • I received a letter about my water usage - what does this mean?

  • Do residents on a well have to follow the City's watering restrictions?

  • Does the City have a greywater program?

  • Can the City provide recycled water to its residents similar to the program being offered by the City of Pleasanton?

  • Is artificial turf eligible for the water efficient landscape rebate?

  • Am I allowed to fill my swimming pool?

  • Are “flushable wipes” flushable and what can and cannot go down the toilet?

  • Ready to return to the Job Opportunities Page?

  • How will I be contacted regarding the status of the position I applied for?

  • What benefits does the City of Vacaville offer?

  • How can I obtain/submit a paper copy of the City of Vacaville application?

  • I missed the deadline - can I still apply?

  • How will I know when the City of Vacaville is hiring for a specific job?

  • Will I automatically be considered for other positions if I previously submitted an application?

  • Do I have to submit a separate application for each open job?

  • How can I review the status of recruitment, my account or application?

  • How can I edit or delete the information on my “already submitted” online job application?

  • How do I change my address, phone or email information?

  • How can I get assistance in completing my application?

  • What if I am interested in a position that is not currently on the City job list?

  • How can I verify that my application has been received?

  • Can I submit a resume?

  • How do I save my information?

  • How do I create my application and how long will it take?

  • How do I set up a “user account” to apply online?

  • What if I don’t have an email account?

  • Do I need an email account to set up a “user account” to apply online?

  • What if I do not have a computer or access to the web?

  • What information will I be asked to provide?

  • Who will see my application if I use the online application process?

  • How do I find out what jobs are available and where do I begin?

  • What if I need to do a repair on my water line?

  • Who should I contact about a water leak?

  • If I am experiencing water pressure that is too low or too high, who should I call?

  • Who should I call if I have a question about my water bill?

  • What if I have a plugged sewer?

  • What should I do if the storm drain is plugged?

  • If I notice a maintenance problem after normal business hours, what should I do?

  • If I see damaged or leaking irrigation systems in a park, whom do I call?

  • What about damaged equipment or hazards in parks?

  • Whom do I call if I see vandalism or graffiti in progress?

  • Whom do I call if I see vandalism or graffiti?

  • If a City Park has been vandalized, whom do I call?

  • If I know a person who is involved with vandalizing or graffiti, whom do I call?

  • How do I know if a tree is my responsibility or the City's?

  • What do I do if my trees are growing into the power lines?

  • Whom do I call if a City tree is obscuring the view for traffic or presenting some other hazard?

  • What if a resident in the area to be tested is an elderly person, a toddler, or has respiratory difficulties?

  • What number do I call to complain about 'big rigs' and abandoned vehicles?

  • Didn't it used to be legal to run a motor repair business from my home?

  • The registration on my car expired six months ago, but I never drive it. Is it okay to leave the car parked on the street?

  • Is it okay to repair my car on the street in front of my apartment/house?

  • Who can I call for help if I have a leak or a problem with my water or sewer utilities?

  • What is the Excise Tax?

  • Can I read my meter to check my water consumption?

  • What is the Sewer Treatment Variable charge on my Utility bill?

  • What is the Sewer Treatment Fixed charge on my utility bill?

  • What is the Basic Service Charge for water on my Utility bill?

  • Where can I pay my utility bill and what sources of payment do you accept?

  • How do I get water and sewer service put in my name?

  • Who provides water and sewer service in Vacaville?

  • When am I billed and when is my bill due?

  • How do pedestrian signals (walk/Don't Walk) work? They always seem to change before I get a chance to cross the street.

  • Many people cross the street here. Can we get a crosswalk?

  • Can my neighborhood get a "Children At Play" sign posted?

  • Won't speed bumps slow traffic on our streets?

  • How does the City decide when to install a traffic signal?

  • What are the criteria for putting in a STOP sign?

  • Can the City post a lower speed limit on my street to slow down traffic?

  • What is a Business License?

  • How can I apply for a business license?

  • How are the fees charged?

  • What are the Business Classifications?

  • Who else needs a business license?

  • What is considered to be a "business?"

  • How do I request a dismissal of charges?

  • How do I submit a request for a Restraining Order?

  • I am planning an event, what do I need to do?

  • Shouldn't the police to respond to every alarm call?

  • Do other cities do this?

  • Who can I talk to about my bill?

  • How do I appeal if I think the bill is wrong or unfair?

  • What happens if I don’t pay?

  • How can I prevent false alarms?

  • Why are you billing for false alarms?

  • My alarm is brand new, is there a grace period?

  • What is the definition of a false alarm?

  • Where can I read the ordinance?

  • Do I have to register my alarm, and what does it cost?

  • What happens to unclaimed property/evidence?

  • Do I have to turn in “Found Property?”

  • How do I arrange for the release of MY property?

  • What if my bike gets lost or stolen?

  • How can I obtain a copy of a traffic collision report?

  • How long property is held?

  • Do you respond to collision reports on private property?

  • Do you tow vehicles from private property?

  • Does my child have to use a car seat?

  • Can bicycles be ridden on sidewalks?

  • How do I register my bicycle?

  • There are speeding cars on my street and my kids play in the street. What can I do? Can I place cones in the street or a "Children at Play" sign in the street?

  • What should I do if I have been involved in a traffic collision?

  • What do I do if I receive a parking ticket?

  • How do I get my vehicle out of impound?

  • What do I do if I lost my traffic citation or have a question about my traffic citation?

  • What are some of the laws I need to be aware of around schools?

  • How Do I Report a Stolen Bicycle?

  • How Do I Report a Traffic Accident?

  • How To Do I Report a Crime?

  • How do I get a memorial park bench placed in one of the parks in the City of Vacaville?

  • How Do I Make a Counter Report?