Water Conservation Measures Necessary during PG&E Public Safety Power Outage
Pacific Gas and Electric’s Public Safety Power Outage, which will affect multiple neighborhoods throughout Vacaville, may also affect water service. The City of Vacaville Utilities Department is actively taking measures to make as much water available for continued delivery to residents and customers during the anticipated shutoff period. However, it is extremely important that everyone conserve water in the event the shutoff extends beyond a couple of days. Therefore, the City requests that residents take the following measures to conserve water during the duration of the power outage:
- Do not use water to conduct any non-critical activities that can wait, such as washing your car.
- Do not irrigate lawns and landscape during this period. Set automatic sprinkler controls to “off” or “rain” until the alert is terminated. Landscape should not be hurt going without water for a couple of days.
- Flush your toilets less throughout the day as much as you are comfortable, applying the practice of “If it’s Yellow Let it Mellow” (placing the toilet seat down helps). If you do not already have a water efficient toilet, place a plastic bottle filled with water in the toilet tank to reduce the amount of water used per flush.
- Spend no more than 5-10 minutes in the shower. A good practice is to rinse, turn off the water to soap and later, and turn the water back on long enough to rinse once again before shutting off the water.
- Use the bathroom and kitchen sinks sparingly. Do not leave water running in between activities such as brushing teeth or shaving in the bathroom, or cleaning dishes in the kitchen.
- Do not use water unless it’s absolutely necessary, and do not leave water running when not in use.
For more information regarding water service or conserving water, please contact the City of Vacaville Utilities Department at (707) 469-6400.
For information on which areas may be affected, please contact PGE or visit www.pge.com.