Video surveillance is one of the best methods for apprehending criminals and convicting suspects who are caught in the act of committing a crime. Installing video surveillance is a great example of community-police partnerships and is something we highly value as a police agency serving our community.
The Vacaville Police Department wants your help in fighting crime by taking part in the Surveillance Camera Registry Program called Citizen’s View. Citizen’s View allows residents and business owners to register the locations of their video surveillance systems with VPD. When a crime occurs, police will be able to identify the locations of nearby video cameras and enlist the assistance of the community to help officers collect video evidence and follow up on leads.
Through the program, VPD will be able to directly contact Citizen’s View registrants who are using video in an area in which a crime occurred. Police would ask Citizen’s View registrants to check their video surveillance system for a specific date and time for video that may show activity involved with a crime, such as a getaway car or the direction that a person of interest was headed.
If you are considering purchasing a video surveillance system, please consider the following:
- The higher the resolution of the video the better results that will be yielded;
- A minimum of 30-days storage of information is recommended;
- Camera(s) should face entrance and exit points; and,
- Camera(s) should be located on private property only.
registration at any time. An individual’s personal information will be kept confidential by the City unless subject to disclosure by court order. Your information will be accessed by law enforcement personnel who are investigating a crime in the vicinity of where your camera is located.
You will only be contacted by the Vacaville Police Department in the future if there is a criminal incident in the vicinity of your security camera. Police personnel, if necessary, may request a copy of any video captured by your camera, which may assist in the investigation of a crime.
- Any footage containing or related to criminal activity may be collected by the Vacaville Police Department for use as evidence during any stage of a criminal proceeding.
- Under no circumstances shall registrants construe that they are acting as an agent and/or employee of the City of Vacaville and/or the Vacaville Police Department through the Citizen’s View program.
- If necessary, the Vacaville Police Department will contact you directly, using the information provided on this site, to request the appropriate video surveillance footage.
If you have any questions, please contact the Crime Prevention Unit at (707) 449-5432 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for partnering with Vacaville Police Department!