The Vacaville Police Department is seeking applicants for the job of school Crossing Guard. Crossing Guards work independently, in the absence of direct supervision, to safely cross pedestrians at assigned intersections, before and after school.
Helpful Traffic Laws for
Local Schools and Crossing Guard Etiquette
PEDESTRIANS: Wait on the sidewalk for the Crossing Guard to stop traffic and signal to you that it is safe to cross in the crosswalk. Remember Crossing Guards are there for your safety.
• Crossing Guards use hand signals and a whistle; one toot is for the drivers to stop and two toots release pedestrians to cross
• Crossing Guards are assigned to regulate traffic flow as well as cross pedestrians at safe opportunities, so it is important that everyone follow their direction
Don’t teach your children to cross in the middle of the street. Teach by word and example to cross in the crosswalk with the Crossing Guard. Remember the California Vehicle Code (CVC) 2815 requires you and your children to obey the Crossing Guard’s direction.
DRIVERS: Stop for the stop sign and remain stopped until the Crossing Guard steps back onto the sidewalk. This allows for the safety of the Crossing Guard and pedestrians that the driver may not see or be aware of.
• Stop behind the crosswalk line to allow for pedestrian crossing.
• Do not inch forward until the Crossing Guard has exited the street.
Remember that the California Vehicle Code (CVC) 2815 requires you to remain stopped until the Crossing Guard and children reach a point of safety (the sidewalk).
• U-Turns are only permitable in residential zones when no other vehicle is approaching from either direction within 200 feet. This space is hard to find in front of schools and not a safe choice where children often dart across the street between vehicles. California Vehicle Code (CVC) 22103
DROP OFF AND PICK-UP: Always pull over to the curb to drop off and pick up passengers.
• Loading zones can only be utilized when actively loading or unloading and they are subject to a parking citation when the driver is away from the vehicle. [10.20.020 (F) VMC Loading Zone]
• Traffic lanes should never be used for loading or unloading. Safe, courteous, and appropriate locations are the best choice. Impeeding traffic movement is a citable offence California Vehicle Code (CVC) 22400(a)
Vacaville School Crossing Guards are assigned to 28 intersections that include 14 public elementary and middle schools. Remember to be alert, keep windows clean for a clear view, drive safely around school zones, and give yourself enough time to avoid being in a rush on the roadway.