Tips to beat the heat
Stay cool during stretch of hot weather
During this stretch of higher-than-usual temperatures in Vacaville, the City would like to offer the following tips for beating the heat:
- Avoid strenuous activity.
- Drink plenty of water. Even if you do not feel thirsty, stay hydrated.
- Wear lightweight, loose-fitting, and light-colored clothing. Light colors reflect sunlight and help maintain normal body temperature.
- Protect your face with a wide-brimmed hat.
- Too much sun is harmful. Use sunscreen with a high SPF rating when outdoors.
- Cool off at the City’s pool; if needed, all of the City’s facilities are air-conditioned and open to the public (hours are listed below).
- Go indoors to beat the heat, such as air-conditioned community centers, libraries (hours are listed below), or theater.
- If your home does not have air conditioning, try to stay on your lowest, coolest floor.
- Use electric fans to cool you down, even if they do not cool the air.
- Cover windows that receive morning/afternoon sun with drapes, shades, or awnings. Outdoor awnings can reduce the heat that enters a home by up to 80 percent.
- Check on family, friends, and neighbors to make sure that they are safe.
- Never leave children or pets alone in a closed vehicle.
- Do not leave pets outside for extended periods, be sure they have shade and give them plenty of water to drink.
Warning signs of possible heat stroke or heat-related illness:
- An extremely high body temperature
- Red, hot and dry skin
- Rapid, strong pulse
- Throbbing headache
If you need emergency assistance, do not hesitate to call 9-1-1.
The McBride Senior Center is open 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday (except holidays); The Three Oaks Community Center is open from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday; the Ulatis Community Center is open 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, except holidays, and 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Fridays. The Ulatis Cultural Center library is open Monday - Thursday 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.; and Sunday 1 - 5 p.m. The Town Square Library is open Monday and Wednesday 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.; Tuesday and Thursday 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.; and Sunday - 1- 5 p.m.